top of page


municipal court

Towanda Municipal Court is dedicated to providing fair, efficient, professional, and effective dispositions of all matters within its jurisdiction.  Towanda Municipal Court has jurisdiction of violations of City ordinances for traffic cases and other types of cases, such as code violations and misdemeanor criminal matters.


Municipal court is held regularly on the second Tuesday of each month at 12:00 P.M. (noon) at City Hall, 110 S. 3rd, Towanda, KS 67144.  Proceedings are on a first-come basis.  Attendees are asked to sign in when they enter the court room, and names are called in the order they signed in.

laws enforced in municipal court

Municipal Code of Ordinances
The municipal code is a compilation of the laws enacted and enforced by the city government.

Standard Traffic Ordinance (STO)

Traffic violations in the City of Towanda are enforced using the Standard Traffic Ordinance, as amended.  A copy of the currently adopted STO book can be viewed at City Hall.

Uniform Public Offense Code (UPOC)
Non-traffic violations in the City of Towanda are enforced using the Uniform Public Offense Code.  A copy of the currently adopted UPOC book can be viewed at City Hall.

Kansas Statutes
Kansas statutes are laws enacted by state legislators, published by Kansas Revisor of Statutes, and distributed by the Secretary of State.

  • How do I sign up for City utilities?
    To start utility services, a Utility Connection Form must be submitted to City Hall with a valid driver's license or other State or Federal ID and payment of a $25.00 set-up fee. For more information or to download the utility connection form, click here.
  • Do I need to register my dog with the City?
    Yes. A City license and tag is required of all dogs that reside within the city limits. The license must be renewed annually but is free of charge from January - March and within 30 days of new residency. Current rabies vaccination documentation must be provided to obtain the license and tag. More information about animal licensing can be found here.
  • Can I pay my utility bill online?
    Yes, you can. Utility payments can be made here. With the City's new NexBillPay payment processor, an account holder can pay utility bills online, start or stop auto-draft payments, and see history of the account's utility usages. Create an NexBillPay account here and sign into your account thereafter here. More payment options and other utility information can be found here.
  • Do I need a permit for repairs at my property (roof, windows, siding, fence, electric, plumbing, etc.)?
    Most property repairs require a City permit and inspection. Please contact the Planning and Zoning Officer for requirements and further details.
  • How do I report a street light out?
    Most street lights in town are maintained by Evergy (previously Westar Energy). Report an outage by calling 1-800-544-4857 or online at
  • What regulations apply to golf carts or work-site utility vehicles operated on streets in Towanda?
    Regulations: May not be operated on any highway, street, road, or alley with a posted speed limit in excess of 40 mph unless crossing said highway, street, road, or alley. May not be operated on any interstate highway, federal highway, or state highway unless crossing said highway. May not be operated on any public street between sunset and sunrise. Every person operating a golf cart on the public highways, streets, roads, and alleys of the City shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to a diver of a vehicle imposed by law. All drivers must possess a current valid driver's license. Must have liability coverage in accordance with Section 200 of the Standard Traffic Ordinance, and amendments thereto, and the Kansas Automobile Injury Reparations Act, K.S.A. 40-3101, et seq., and amendments thereto. Must display a slow-moving vehicle emblem mounted and displayed in compliance with K.S.A. 8-1717, and amendments thereto. Vehicle must be registered with the City of Towanda, including showing proof of insurance and paying any initial registration fee or annual license renewal fee.
  • What types of special purpose vehicles can be operated on streets in Towanda?
    Golf Carts Definition: Any motor vehicle that has not less than three wheels in contact with the ground, an unladen weight of not more than 1,800 pounds, is designed to be and is operated at not more than 25 miles per hour and is designed to carry not more than four persons including the driver. Work-Site Utility Vehicles Definition: Any motor vehicle which is not less than 48 inches in width, has an unladen weight, including fuel and fluids, of more than 800 pounds and is equipped with four or more nonhighway tires, a steering wheel and bench or bucket-type seating allowing at least two people to sit side-by-side, and may be equipped with a bed or cargo box for hauling materials.
  • What do I need to bring with me when I register a golf cart or work-site utility vehicle?
    You will need to bring the follow information and documents with you when you apply to register your golf cart or work-site utility vehicle: Name and address of vehicle owner Description of vehicle to be registered (including color, make, model, and serial number) Proof of liability insurance specifically listing the vehicle, including liability limits Initial registration fee or annual license renewal fee, both set by fee schedule
  • What should I wear to court?
    Towanda Municipal Court is a professional setting. Please wear appropriate clothing. We request you refrain from wearing hats, hoods, and sunglasses within the court room. We also request you refrain from wearing apparel that promotes illegal substances or activities within the court room.
  • What plea options are available?
    Guilty: You admit to the act you are charged with and admit that the act is unlawful and that you have no defense for the action you committed. Not Guilty: You deny that you committed the unlawful act you were charged with, and the matter is set for trial. At that time, it becomes the responsibility of the City to prove your guilt in trial. Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. ​ No Contest: While you do not admit your guilt, you do admit the truth of the facts alleged in the indictment, information or complaint. Upon a plea of no contest, the Judge will enter a finding of guilty and order a fine, jail time, or other sentence. A plea of no contest is not an admission of guilt or fault and prevents the plea from being used against you in any later civil or criminal proceeding.
  • How do I pay for a ticket?
    If a court appearance is not required, a ticket may be paid in full (in one lump payment) prior to the court date listed on the ticket to avoid having to appear in court on said date. Those payments may be made in person, by mail, or by phone (see payments page). If requested, payment plans may be established at the time of your court appearance.
  • Is there a way to keep a moving violation off my driving record?  Can it be amended?
    Charges can only be amended by the City Prosecutor. The Prosecutor has various diversion programs and amendment options. For questions regarding amendments, diversions, or keeping charges off of your driving record, please contact the court clerk at 316-249-9018 or speak to the Prosecutor at your court appearance.
  • What should I bring to court?
    Please bring any documentation or other information that may be relevant to your case. If your citation was for No/Invalid Vehicle Insurance or Registration and you have since obtained valid insurance or registration or documentation of either that was valid at the time of the citation, please bring such documentation.
bottom of page